Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Spring Planting

Spring is finally here, and now it is time to start my plants in the house. I start my plants inside 6 to 8 weeks before I want to plant them in my gardens outside. Now that we have longer days with sunlight, it’s time to start those plants that need a little head start.

Here are some of the plants that I start early.  I plant peppers, chives, parsley, honey dew melon, musk melon, watermelon, and tomatoes. This is just a few of the plants that I start early.  Most of the seeds that I use are from the year before. I save my seeds from my plants each year and dry them out. Then I store my seeds in zip-lock bags and use them the following year to plant. Free seeds are always nice to have.


Now it’s time to plant those seeds. I reuse my pots from year to year, so I do not have to buy pots. If you run short on pots try using containers you have around your house. I use cottage cheese containers, glass jars, spice containers, or any other container you can find. Poke a hole in the bottom and use the covers for drainage. Always buy some good potting soil to plant your seeds in.




My daughter wanted to do something different this year so we also planted some flowers. So I took some of my odd sized containers and let her decorate them before she planted her seeds. She decorated one with tin foil and another one with wrapping paper. When her flowers come up she can give them away as gifts or keep them inside or outside during the summer. This is a nice little project for your children to do. They can watch their flowers they planted grow.



As my plants start growing, I will post some pictures to show you how they are coming along. Gardening is one of my favorite hobbies, and as the summer progresses I will show you more of what I plant and grow. I love having my own fresh fruits and vegetables that I have grown with my own hands. Spring and summer are a great time to be outside getting your hands dirty and playing in the dirt.Try planting your own seeds instead of buying them, this saves time and money, Happy planting from Suzie Homemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment