Monday, February 8, 2016

Mock Apple Pie

How many people, like apple pie? Well, today I am going to give you my family’s secret recipe for a mock apple pie. This was always the joke in our family because no one knew it wasn’t a real apple pie. This pie even looks and tastes like a real apple pie. So today I am going to talk to you about using pears to make a mock apple pie. You can get fresh pears years round from the grocery store and they are relatively cheap. Since I have a pear tree in my back yard I just pick them and freeze some sliced pears to be used whenever I want a pear pie. Some pears we eat right away in fall, the rest I can and make pear sauce.


Pastry Shell

    1 Cup Flour                                       2 Tablespoons ice water
   ½ Teaspoon salt                                 1 Teaspoon vinegar
   1 stick of margarine

   Mix flour, salt and margarine until it resembles coarse meal. Mix water and vinegar. Form dough into a  ball. Cover. Chill for 15 minutes, then roll out dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate and shape edge. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Makes 1 pie shell.


Pear Pie

   Pastry for 2 crust pie                            ½ Teaspoon salt
   5 Cups of pears sliced                           1 Teaspoon cinnamon
   ½ Cup sugar                                          1 Teaspoon lemon juice
   ¼ Cup flour                                           1 Tablespoon butter or margarine


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and slice pears. Put ½ of pears in pastry lined 9-inch pie pan. Mix sugar, salt, and cinnamon.
Sprinkle half of mixture over pears. Put in the rest of the pears and cover with the rest of the sugar mixture.
Sprinkle with lemon juice. Dot top with margarine or butter. Cover with top crust or optional French Apple topping.  Bake for 50 minutes.

Recipe option: This is what I do instead of a top crust, and my whole family loves it. For topping as for French Apple Pie: Mix ½ cup butter or margarine, ½ cup brown sugar and 1 cup flour. Sprinkle the  French Apple Pie mixture  over top instead of the crust. Bake for 50 minutes. Enjoy warm or cold with cool whip or ice cream.


I hope you enjoy my mock Apple Pie from Suzie Homemaker. More family recipes coming soon.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment