Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Homemade Quilts vs Store bought Quilts

How many of you have quilts on your beds during the winter? I know I do and so do my children. Today I would like to talk to you about quilts and how expensive they are. The last time my mother-in-law bought me a quilt I had to look twice and say that’s a quilt. I took one look and said it’s so thin how can this possibly be a quilt. I now use it for a throw over my quilt for a bed spread. Quilts are very expensive and very in thickness and quality and price. So I am going to show you several store bought quilts and homemade quilts. I think you know where I am leading to here, I own homemade quilts.


First the store bought quilts range in price from $25.00 dollars to over $300.00 dollars. These quilts can vary in thickness and quality. My mother-in-law always wanted my girls quilts to match their room and style. This can become very expensive, so I let her buy these quilts for them. But me girls always went back to their homemade quilts, because they were always warmer and thicker. Here are some store bought quilts in different thicknesses.



Now I want to talk about homemade quilts. I grew up with a homemade quit and still have one today. My girls have homemade quilts and so do all my nephews because I made them for them. My mother has a quilting frame which I used. You don’t have to have one to make a quilt by hand, but is does make it a little easier to tie them.  Here' is  my homemade quilt and my girl homemade quilts.

Making a homemade quilt is a lot cheaper and you can control the thickness for warmth. My youngest daughter wanted a blue quilt so I went to the store and bought two flat sheets, quilt batting, and yarn to match her quilt. If you do not have a quilting frame just lie your sheets on the floor and place your batting inside and sew up the sides. Next cut a piece of cardboard into a big square (any size you like). Use your square to mark where you want to tie your quilt. This will help keep your batting in place. When buying your batting always remember to buy washable batting.  After the winter season, I just wash my quilt and put it away for next winter.



My oldest daughter decided she wanted a patch work quilt, so here is where all your scrap material comes in handy. Between me and my mother, we sewed a lot of squares together to make the front of her quilt. The back of her quilt was a flat sheet. Then we used yarn to tie her quilt.


When I tied the quilts from the quilting frame I sat underneath and pushed the needle up while my mother pushed the needle down. This was fun for the girls to help out making their quilts. If you do not have a quilting frame just lie the quilt on the floor and fold the quilt as you go when you tie it.

My homemade quilts are warmer and thicker than store bought quilts because I can control the thickness. Plus I can make a homemade quilt for under $75.00 dollars. I have owned my homemade quilt for over 30 years now.  Have fun making and creating your own quilt and save money in the process from Suzie Homemaker.





No comments:

Post a Comment