Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Butcher Shops are they worth It?

Butcher Shops are they worth it? When you go grocery shopping, what is the most expensive thing you buy? (Meat).  Our grocery bill is much cheaper when I buy my meat from a Butcher shop. Meat in the store is so expensive and the quality is not as good. So today I am going to show you how I save a bundle of money by buying from a Butcher shop.

Let’s start with beef, I good pound of ground- chuck can go for over $4.00 dollars a pound in the grocery store. Don’t even look at the steaks prices, they make me cry. Beef is very expensive in the grocery stores. Here’s how I save a bundle on beef. Call around to your local Butcher shops and compare prices. Our family goes to Becks Meats out of Kaukauna. We order ¼ to ½ of a steer at a time and save big time. The price for all the cuts of beef are $2.99 a pound plus this includes butchering and wrapping. Now I can have my steak and not cry. If you are a single person and you don’t want that much meat at a time, ask a friend or family member to split the cost of the meat. Just by ordering a bigger amount of meat up front can save you a lot of money. The meat is much leaner and healthier for you.


Next, let’s talk about pork. A good pound of bacon can cost you over $3.00 dollars a pound. Look at a good pork roast or ham around the holidays and I just get sticker shock. Not any more, I go to Becks Meat Market in Kaukauna and I buy a whole pig for $1.69 a pound. This includes butchering and wrapping. I love pork chops on the grill and those delicious pork brats. The butcher’s shop customizes the cuts of meat to your liking. They ask you how many pounds you want in a package and how thick you want your meat.


At Becks Meats they also do chickens for $1.59 a pound. Each chicken averages around 5 to 6 pounds each. We do all our own chicken ourselves. We order chickens from of local coop and raise them to around 8 to 10 pounds then butcher them ourselves. We do about 25 chickens a year. This a day long project for us. The girls and I wait till dad chops the heads and then does the de-feathering.  Then the girls and I clean and cut them up into pieces. Freeze and enjoy fresh chicken year round.

Always do your research and check several meat markets for prices and amounts or meat you needed to buy to get your biggest discounts. I find I can save hundreds of dollars this way when I buy my meat. Everybody loves some meat, so why not save money and do your meat shopping at a butcher shop. Enjoy that steak, bacon and chicken from Suzie Homemaker.



No comments:

Post a Comment