Monday, January 29, 2018

Homemade Beef Jerky

                A while back I had a reader compliment me on my dehydrating video. He said that I showed him how to make fruit roll-ups in a very easy way from fresh fruit. Then he asked me to do a blog post on how to make homemade beef jerky. Since his request, I have had several more people asking me to do a blog post on making beef jerky. So today I will give you my homemade beef jerky sauce recipe and show you how I make beef jerky with my dehydrator.
What You Will Need

              



  Dehydrator  and trays                                          2# Beef Roast of any kind
                Serrated knife                                                      1 large bowl with an airtight lid
                1 small bowl for mixing sauce                             non-stick spray

Beef Jerky Recipe

              

  2# Beef Roast of any kind                                   ½ cup Soy Sauce
                ½ cup Worcestershire Sauce                               1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke
                1 teaspoon Garlic Salt                                         ¼ cup Ketchup
                Pepper to taste

1.      
Take your beef roast out of the freezer and do not thaw. It is much easier to cut thin pieces while the beef roast is frozen.

2.      
With a serrated knife start cutting very thin pieces.   While it is frozen it is easier to trim the excess fat of too.

3.      

Take your thin cut pieces of beef and place them into the large bowl.

4.     
  Mix up your sauce with the recipe above. Depending on how hot you like your beef jerky add your pepper.

5.      
Pour your sauce over your thin cut pieces of beef. Put your cover on tightly and shake the bowl so the sauce will coat the beef.  Leave the sauce on the beef for at least 2 hours, shaking it up every 20 to 30 minutes to evenly coat your beef.

6.      
Put a tray on the bottom with a fruit roll-up insert in it to catch any liquid while dehydrating.

7.     
  As you start taking out your thin strips of beef soak them in the liquid a little bit before putting them on a tray. I recommend using some non-stick spray on your trays first so the thin strips of beef do not stick.

8.   
    About 2 to 3 hours into your drying start flipping your beef around so they dry evenly.  This is the time to also flip your trays around so they dry evenly.

9.       Every dehydrator is different so you will have to check your directions on temperature and times of how to dehydrate your beef jerky. I use an American Harvest Dehydrator and my beef jerky will take most of the day to dehydrate.

10.   Always check on your beef jerky when you think it is almost done. Depending on how chewy or hard you like your beef jerky is when it is done. I ended up with 5 trays of beef jerky.

11. 
  Put into a sealed bag or bowl and enjoy.

Making beef jerky is an all-day process but well worth the wait. Beef jerky in the store is so expensive. This is why I make my own. This whole batch will cost me less than $7 dollars. Needless to say, I’ll be lucky if this beef jerky makes it more than 2 days in my house. My family loves this beef jerky. I hope you like my recipe for homemade beef jerky at a fraction of the price you pay in the store. Yummy Beef jerky from Suzie Homemaker.


                

No comments:

Post a Comment