Thursday, July 2, 2015

Different Types of Canners

Pressure Cookers and Water Bath Canners
               
Hi, and welcome back to Suzie Homemakers helpful tips on canning. Today I would like to talk about different types of canners and when to use them. Canning is a fun and easy way to have fresh fruits and vegetables year round. I received my first canner from my mother, which was from my grandmother, and I still use it today. I was taught from a young age how to can and I still enjoy doing it today. Now, with the fruits and vegetables ready to pick soon, I would like to give you some of my helpful tips. In later blog posts I will be showing step by step how I can different fruits and vegetables.

Canning Jars
                
There are many kinds of canning jars you can buy or find at garage sales fairly reasonable. Some people like the wide mouth jars and some prefer the regular mouth jars.  If you buy them at a garage sale make sure you check the jars for chips or cracks, these you can’t use because they will not seal. I prefer the regular mouth jars because the lids are much cheaper.  Wide mouth jars are great for fruit. Depending on your preference you can use either pint of quart jars. I tend to use the pints for vegetable and the quarts for fruit.

Pressure Cookers
               
Use pressure cookers for nonacid foods- for processing meats and vegetables ,except for tomatoes which are acidy. There are many types of pressure canners to pick from it all depends on how much you want to spend. I have two Mirro Pressure Canners one for pints and one for quarts. Pressure canners can range from 50 to over 200 hundred dollars. Check your local Walmart or hardware store for cheaper models or go online to (http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/)

Water Bath Canners
               
Water bath canners are used for canning fruits and tomatoes. Check your local thrift shops of garage sales for these, just make sure they have a jar rack or pan for the jars to sit in. If you want a new water bath canner check Walmart, your local hardware store or go online to (http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/ball-freshtech-electric-water-bath-canner-and-multi-cooker-21-qt/shop/633895/)

Have fun canning and preserving your food.  Enjoy your fresh fruits and vegetables year round.

Happy Canning from Suzie Homemaker!

No comments:

Post a Comment