Saturday, September 26, 2015

How to make Home made Beef Jerky

                Here is something the whole family will like to eat. Beef Jerky!  This is another way you can save a lot of money.  Homemade beef jerky is easy to make. Like I said in previous Blog Posts I use my dehydrator at least 3 to 4 days a week. This time of the year I am canning, freezing, and dehydrating non-stop.  It is time to stock up on canned, frozen and dehydrated food for the winter months. Beef jerky in the store can be over 8 dollars a pound, that’s way too expensive for me. In this Blog, I will show you step by step how I make homemade beef jerky and the recipe I use for the sauce. I take two 2 pounds of roasts and I am lucky if the beef jerky makes it two days before my family devours it.

Step 1: I like to take a frozen beef roast because it is easier to cut into thin slices this way. Take a good sharp knife and cut thin slices. Trim of as much fat as possible. Trying to cut a roast when it is not frozen will make it harder to get thin slices. Any type of roast will do fine. I have used an arm roast or a tip roast when I make my beef jerky.

Step 2: Next place your thin slices of meat in a zip locked bag or a bowl with a tight seal. I use a bowl with a tight lid so I can shake it up easier with my sauce.  But a ziplock bag will work just fine also.

Step 3: The sauce recipe I use is: 
Two 2# Roasts thinly sliced and fat cut off
¾ cup Worcestershire sauce                          ½ teaspoon garlic salt or regular salt
¾ cup Soy sauce                                               ½ teaspoon pepper or more if you like it really hot
¾ cup ketchup                                                  1 Tablespoon Liquid smoke

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and pour over your meat in a bag or bowl and seal. Next shake the sauce around and over your meat. Let the meat soak for at least 2 hours shaking the sauce around and over the meat every 15 to 30 minutes.

Step 4: Place your soaked meat on your trays and do not overlap them. Make sure you have a tray on bottom, that can soak up the excess juices. I like to use one of my fruit roll-up trays for this purpose.  Set your temperature for meat according to your dehydrators directions.  Depending on how done you want your beef jerky it can take up to 4 to 6 hour to dehydrate.  About half way through I like to flip all my meat and switch the bottom tray around with the top trays. This helps the meat cook more evenly.

Step 5:  Take the beef jerky off the trays and place in an air- tight bag or a bowl with a tight cover. This should keep for over a week if you can keep the family out of it that long. My beef jerky barely makes it past two days and it is all gone.


Making my own beef jerky is fun and easy, plus it saves me a lot of money.  I know what goes into my beef jerky, so it is much healthier and taste much better than store beef jerky. Have fun making your own beef jerky from Suzie Homemaker.


No comments:

Post a Comment