Monday, August 13, 2018

How To Can Tomatoes Crushed

Well, it’s time for canning season to begin, and today I want to talk about tomatoes. My daughter decided I needed tomatoes so I have a bunch to can this year, I will be canning juice and chunks of tomatoes for a while here. But today I want to try and can crushed tomatoes.

1.       First, you need a good amount of ripe red tomatoes.

2.       Wash your tomatoes very well before cutting up. Cut out any bad spots and all stems.

3.     
  Take a big kettle and start boiling some water. When the water just starts to boil place a few tomatoes in the water.

4.   

  When the skins start to crack and peel they are ready to be placed in a bowl of ice water. This way you can handle the tomatoes and peel the easier.


em

5.       Peel away the skins.

6.   
  Cut your tomatoes into small chunks or just quarter them
.
7.    

   In another kettle place your chunked or quartered tomato, using a potato masher smash your tomatoes.

8.       Take your smashed tomatoes and place in a clean canning jar to about ¼ of an inch from the top. If you do not have enough to fill a jar just add some tomato juice to fill your jars. Add your canning salt according to directions and lemon juice.

9.     

  In a small kettle boil your lids. Tighten your covers onto your lids. I run a knife around the top of my lids to help it seal tighter.

10.  
Tomatoes need to be water bathed, so fill your water bath so it covers your jars by at least ½ inch.

11.  
Check your canning book for the time you will need for canning.

12.   When done take out and let cool. When your jars pop you know they are sealed. I let my jars cool overnight before I move them.

Now I will have plenty of tomato juice, chunks, and smashed tomatoes to last me through till next season. Canning has been in my family for generations and I love having homegrown produce year round. This saves on the grocery bill so much. Yes, it takes time to can but look at all the rewards you get for all your labor, and my family loves it.

My smallest canner and my water bath canner came from my grandmother, who gave it to my mother who then gave it to me. These canners have stood up to the test of times. I hope someday to pass it onto my children and beyond.


I hope you try this smashed canned tomato recipe for your house soon from Suzie Homemaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment