Monday, August 27, 2018

Home Made Brownies

This weekend I had a Family Reunion to attend and I was asked to bring a dessert to pass. I wanted to bring something everybody would like and eat, so I decided to make my homemade Brownies. This recipe comes from my grandmother and it makes anywhere from 32 to 40 nice size brownies. So today I will give you my grandmother’s Homemade Buttermilk Brownies Recipe.

Buttermilk Brownies

1 Cup Water                                                    1 cup Butter or Margarine
1/3 Cup Cocoa (dry)                                       2 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar                                                   1 teaspoon Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Salt                                               2 Slightly Beaten Eggs
½ Cup Buttermilk or (milk)                            1 ½ teaspoons Vanilla

Frosting

¼ Cup Butter or Margarine                           3 Tablespoons Cocoa (dry)
3 Tablespoons Buttermilk or (milk)              2 ¼ Cups Confectioners’ sugar
½ Cup Chopped Walnuts (optional)              ½ teaspoon Vanilla


1.   
    In a saucepan, combine butter, cocoa, and one cup of water. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.

2.     

  In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt; stir in beaten eggs, buttermilk or milk, and vanilla.

3.     

  Add hot cocoa mixture; mix till blended.

4.    
   Pour into a greased 15 ½ x 10 ½ 1 inch baking pan.

5.    

   Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

6.       Immediately pour Frosting over the brownies; spread evenly over brownies.

7.       Cool; cut into bite-size bars.
Buttermilk Frosting

1.       In a saucepan, mix ¼ cup butter or margarine, 3 Tablespoons cocoa (dry), and 3 Tablespoons buttermilk or milk.

2.      
Cook and stir till boiling; remove from heat.

3.       Beat in 2 ¼ Cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup Walnuts (optional) and ½ teaspoon Vanilla.

4.     

  Pour over hot brownies right out of the oven.

5.     
  I start making the frosting when there are about 5 minutes left for the brownies to cook, this way my frosting is ready when the brownies come out of the oven.

6.       Note: this recipe can be made with buttermilk or regular milk. They both taste great.

Making this recipe brings back so many fond memories of baking with my grandmother. She used to make these brownies every Sunday when we came to visit. Making old-time recipes are a fun way to connect with your own children or grandchildren. I hope you try this easy Homemade brownie recipe, my family loved it along with the rest of the family at our Family Reunion. Making things from scratch is so much better than buying a brownie mix from a store and tastes so much better. I hope you like my homemade Buttermilk Brownie Recipe from Suzie Homemaker.




No comments:

Post a Comment